-
San Francisco de los Tejas
It was probably built of logs, since pine forests are plentiful in the area. -
San Juan Bautista
The Guerrero complex became an important center of both military and economic power in New Spain, and was called the “Gateway to Spanish Texas.” -
Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de Acuña
Its location in east Texas was authorized by the Spanish government to serve as a reliable buffer against the threat of French incursion into Spanish territory from Louisiana. -
San José y San Miguel de Aguayo
Known as the Queen of the Missions. -
Nuestra Señora del Espíritu Santo de Zúñiga
The presidio and the mission came to be known as La Bahia (the bay). -
San Francisco de la Espada
Several modern churches have been architecturally based on the structure of this mission. -
San Juan Capistrano
The mission was originally founded in east Texas, near the current city of Cushing, as Mission San José de los Nazonis. It was moved to San Antonio and renamed to San Juan Capistrano in 1731. -
Nuestra Señora del Rosario
The mission was established, 4 miles west of La Bahia, in November 1754 by Father Juan de Dios Camberos to minister to the Karankawa tribes -
San Francisco Xavier de los Dolores
The original mission, Mission San Francisco Xavier de Horcasitas, was relocated to the San Marcos River in 1755, and renamed it to Mission San Francisco Xavier de los Dolores. -
Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe
It was abandoned mid 1758 due to fears of Comanche raids.